Wednesday, November 27, 2013

My First Thanksgiving!!!

As I mentioned in my previous post, I sincerely hope you all enjoy Thanksgiving tomorrow. I will be spending my day with family and friends in the area. I also plan to get a little workout in tomorrow morning. Just a little reminder to enjoy yourself, but do not eat until you pop. Steve Harvey said it best this morning on his radio show, "your third plate should not look as full as your first plate."

I wanted to share my pictures from the first Thanksgiving meal I made all by myself. I did not go home that year and I still wanted a traditional meal. I remember calling up Bubbie (my late grandmother) and telling her that decided I would make my own meal for the very first time. The meal included a pot of collard greens, a small turkey, sweet potato souffle, seasoned rice, cranberry sauce, yeast rolls, and an apple cobbler (I didn't make the cranberry sauce or the rolls). And I served it with a glass of sparkling apple cider. This meal really meant a lot to me because I was thankful that I was able to purchase the food and make it for myself (I was a graduate student at the time). And I was thankful that I was able to use the skills I had learned from my parents and grandparents. Cooking a Thanksgiving meal was not something I thought I would be able to handle on my own, but I did. It took some time, but it was all worth it!! I was so proud of this meal! I have made several turkeys, souffles, etc since then, but this one stands out the most for me. Before I get too mushy on you all, again, have a WONDERFUL day tomorrow. SALUD!!!!!







No comments:

Post a Comment