Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Adults Age 20 to 39 Eat the Most Fast Food

I heard about this STUDY over the weekend on the radio. The good news is that fast food consumption is going down overall in the U.S. HOWEVER, the groups that consume the most fast food are 20 to 39 year olds and non-Hispanic Blacks.

As a member of both of these groups I have to wonder what is contributing to this. Since I am a researcher I know income and education are two major factors. But what else is going on? Is it that we do not have time to cook? Is cooking something that people in the 20 to 39 age group don't do?

Just curious! Would love to hear (read) your thoughts!





3 comments:

  1. I will admit that I eat fast food a lot more than I should. Just so you know: I am a Black women, age 39, college degree, single, no kids, live alone. I think the fact that I don't have a family of my own plays the biggest factor in how much I eat out. My parents made everything from scratch, there was a home cooked meal on the table every night, and we rarely ever ate out. I'm trying to get back to that. My BF and I are considering marriage, so I don't want this bad habit to follow me into my new life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Daphne. Thank you for your post! I think many people think cooking is something we do for our families and not for ourselves. And we live in a fast food world. We know we need to eat, do not have a lot of time, and it is easy to just pull into the drive through, instead of figuring out what you can put togther at home. But think about what you are putting into your body every time you get fast food, and how you feel after you eat it.

      One of my goals with this blog is to encourage people to return to cooking. It's not expensive to cook, it's much better for your health (and the health of your loved ones), and it does not take up as much time as people think. Please check out some of my previous posts and stay tunned for more recipes. Oh and feel free to ask me questions!

      All the BEST!!

      Delete
  2. I am guilty of eating fast food a few times a week. Yes, I am in my early 30s and Black, but it's more of time for me. My commute to work is 40 miles. Also I visit my clients and don't have the luxury of an office setting with a company cafeteria. My breakfast, lunch and sometimes dinner gets eaten in the car.

    ReplyDelete