Saturday, January 19, 2013

Quick Fix!! Sauteed Brussels Sprouts

I have decided on a new blog feature that I am calling Quick Fixes. These are basically meals that you can prepare quickly (hence the name) and require minimal ingredients. So, try to hang on to those New Year's Resolutions a little longer because I have a yummy and healthy treat for you!

Now, before you turn your nose up at Brussels sprouts, let me assure you that these will rock your world (yea I said it)! I had a few friends over for dinner and I served these. One had never eaten Brussels sprouts before that night and she was asking if she could take some home with her. Trust me when I tell you that you will want to start making these every week.

Ingredients

1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 cup diced onions OR shallots
1 tablespoon of minced garlic
1 cup of diced bacon (good quality turkey or pork)
2 pounds of Brussels sprouts, rough chopped or shredded (some stores already sell them chopped or shredded)
Kosher salt and ground pepper

Directions

In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onions/shallots and garlic, and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the bacon and cook for another 5-6 minutes (the bacon will start to brown). Add the Brussels sprouts and mix all the ingredients together well by folding all the ingredients on top of each other. Season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring frequently, until caramelized, about 8 to 10 minutes. Add 1/3 cup water and cook until evaporated, about 2 minutes. Serve immediately.
 
 
Salud!

No comments:

Post a Comment