Monday, October 22, 2012

For a Meatless Monday

Yes, Meatless Monday! If you have not heard by now there is a large movement to encourage people to choose one day a week to not eat meat. According to this CNN Article, this movement started in 2003 and research indicates that meatless meals lower your carbon footprint and is good for your overall health. I have always been an advocate for this movement because I believe you can come up with some wonderful and filling meals without meat. My mom has actually been doing this since I was a kid so I like to think she really started this trend.

Read more about the Meatless Monday movement here. Notice that Robin Roberts and Oprah also support this movement.

And to SHOW you that I really do believe in meatless meals, here are a few of my dishes.

Harvest grain blend, grilled baby zucchini, and grilled corn. 


The infamous meal I like to call "vegetarian's paradise" which consists of a baked sweet potato, sauteed purple cabbage, collard greens, sauteed corn with red peppers and poblano pepper, brown rice, quinoa, black beans with a hot pepper sauce (Bryant Terry's Hot Pepper Sauce), and a corn bread fritter (aka a hoe cake to my fellow southerners). No worries, this was was a shared plate.



Black bean cakes over a bed of brown rice and quinoa with hot pepper sauce (same recipe as above).

And these next two dishes might surprise you! RAW (YES RAW) Mock stir fry vegetables. This dish was from my three week journey of eating nothing but raw food. And it was REALLY good! I used Bragg's amino acid to marinate the ingredients. So no cooking at all with this dish. Snow peas, carrots, bean sprouts, mushrooms, and broccoli.

RAW pizza! I found the raw bread I used for the crust from somewhere (probably Whole Foods) and then topped it with a raw cheese made from cashews (I do believe) and then some marinated mushrooms and a raw cheese crumble. And the green dollop is an avocado sauce. It was rather tasty too!

Here's a GREAT looking recipe I found recently that is on deck to make: Portabella Mushroom Pizza

Any favorite meatless dishes you want to share? Email me at singlesistasdish@gmail.com!

Hope your week is off to a GREAT start!

2 comments:

  1. All the dishes look so good. I'm going to try that raw veggie mock stir fry! Is that black bean cake similar to the bean pies I see sold on street corneres?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll like the mock stir fry. And the black bean cakes are not similar :)

    ReplyDelete